Thursday, April 7, 2011

Egg dying eggstraordinaire

I was reading Skip to My Lou's post about silk dying eggs today.  It was a nice reminder that Easter is just around the corner (finally!).  While Kate and LC's family have the tradition of dying the ugliest egg, we have the opposite.  My brothers and I are very competitive. For as long as I can remember we would dye tons of eggs! We'd always try to see who can make the best double dip or who can get the most vibrant color.  I remember the year that my oldest brother successfully completed the triple dip! I hate to admit it but they were always better than me at it. I was too impatient to wait for an egg to sit long enough to be bright or I'd smudge it with my fingers.  But, I'm determined! Here are some of the most fascinating egg dying techniques I've seen lately.

Some fun ideas to try this year...

Skip to my Lou has a great tutorial on the silk dying eggs.

Courtesy of Martha Stewart

Not the biggest fan of the actual eggs but I love the little pots they display them in. I even found them this weekend at Michael's. Now I just need the eggs to put in them!

Courtesy of Martha Stewart
And who doesn't love glitter? These are pretty!


Courtesy of Martha Stewart
 I'm also intrigued by the speckled eggs I keep seeing around.  And I read about natural egg dying in a magazine recently (Family Circle? Woman's Day? Good Housekeeping? I can't remember!). They used red hots, kool aid, now and laters, and jello to make the prettiest colors.

Ultimately, I'll probably run out of time and use the boxes of Paas that I have in the pantry. But they still make pretty cool eggs.

~Kc

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this blog entry. I really want to try the silk tie method (I bet you can get some cheap ties at consignment or flea markets!). I just read about the natural egg dying technique today while I was catching up on my magazine reading. Perhaps it was in the Food Network Magazine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of the glittery eggs! I need more sparkle in my life :) -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are cute, thanks for stopping by my site from #UBP11

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these eggs! Thanks for visiting my UBP post and for following! I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete