Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I laughed in the rain.

{photo via flickr}

I had a delightful night with some friends filled with manicures, peanut butter soup and drinks. It was the perfect evening for my Wednesday Hump Day celebration.

On the way home, I got caught in a sudden lightening storm and found myself thinking of two of my favorite men: my dad and my grandfather.

When I was young, I would sit with my dad on the back porch during a storm, huddled in blankets, listening to the rain. We didn't talk. We just enjoyed the thunder and watched the rain fall. It's one of my favorite childhood memories.

One day in high school, I came home from a drenching field hockey practice and my grandfather asked, "How'd it go?" I responded, "Well, it rained so..." And he then told me a piece of advice I've never forgotten. He said, "Laugh in the rain."

So, that's what I did tonight. I smiled at the memory of my grandfather and his endearing goofiness. I was amused by my soggy shoes and dripping pants. I figured I was already wet, so I jumped in some puddles and giggled in spite of myself.

A good friend once told me "If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans." and so I laughed about that too. I thought about my life and how it hasn't followed my "plan". I laughed about how unpredictable things can be and how accepting I've become with the unexpected.

Wet and all, it was a very good night.

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment