Monday, May 28, 2012

What My Twenties Taught Me




After Kate blogged about  what her 20s taught her , I thought I’d continue the series.  The three-O is quickly approaching and I’ve had some time to reflect on what I’ve learned over the last ten years. 

When life gets too hard to stand, kneel.  I searched online, unsuccessfully, for a while trying to find a video of Bill Rancic talking to his wife, Giuliana, about his views on God’s plans.  Bill says, “Whatever God has planned, He has planned.  We’ve got to surrender ourselves to the Big Man above and believe that He knows what is best for us.  If you do that, then you’ll live in peace and harmony.”  Couldn’t. Agree. More.  A big thank you to Bill Rancic for eloquently verbalizing exactly what I feel. 

Everything happens for a reason.  My early twenties were not my favorite.  I was stuck at a dreaded (my opinion) college wishing my life away.  With a few exceptions (mostly my wonderful husband and  Kate , my huckleberry and saving grace), I didn’t have a support system at college, and I started “looking up” for guidance.  As my relationship with God deepened, I started to be thankful for everything I had in my life, which quickly took my mind off of the things I thought I was missing.  Now, after many years, I realize that my time at college brought me two new and endless relationships: one with one husband and one with God.   

Quoting Dr. Seuss: “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” During those forget-worthy college years, when I felt completely disconnected to almost everyone around me, I grew into a stronger person who wasn’t willing to compromise my beliefs and personality to “fit in” with others.  Because of this, I’ve come to truly appreciate who I am, as well as, my dear high school friends who unconditionally accepted me for this. 

My parents are saints.  Everyday I discover another twenty reasons why I am in complete awe of them and what they did/sacrificed to raise me and my siblings.
 
Work Hard. I’ve learned that I should work hard for myself and my family, not for extra money, attention, or praise. 

Enjoy life.  Life is too short to go through it dreading my days.  I want to surround myself with the people, things, and activities I enjoy. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I won’t force my opinion on others, and I won’t change my opinion for others. 

 (I’m still working on this one.)  Just because it’s there, doesn’t mean I have to eat or drink it. 

Take care of my teeth and body.  Exercise my body and brain.  Enjoy the simple moments in life.  Enough said.

And, the best thing I’ve learned in my twenties: In my relationships with others, whether it is in my day-to-day life or in the heat of an argument, sometimes I have to choose to love others.  All relationships have their ups and downs.  No relationship is glamorous all the time.  It is in the choice to continue to love that will help get back the magical and complete partnerships that makes all the work worth while.  I will never look back and regret loving too much. 

So, what’s on the schedule for the next ten years?  Hopefully, in the midst of long days and short years, pinching pennies and making memories, I’ll also remember to take time to breath in, enjoy and savor this enchanting life that I’ve been given. 

Hugs to our followers (especially those that made it all the way to the end!),

LC

No comments:

Post a Comment