Thursday, May 3, 2012

Busy in the kitchen

Well, not really but I did have a good productive day in the kitchen this past weekend. It felt like it had been a while since I've had a chance to bake something new. It was wonderful!

First on the list were some homemade granola bars. I found the recipe online and can't find the link to it anywhere. I'm hoping that it's on my printout at home.  It was a super easy recipe--quick cooking oats, crispy rice cereal mixed with honey, butter and brown sugar. I love that i know exactly what ingredients are in them and that I can customize it to suit my tastes.  I decided for a s'mores bar so I added mini chocolate chips and mallow-bits to my bars.  Next time I'm going to add peanut butter chips and peanuts for Joe.  The options are endless! 



I cut them up into bars and wrapped them in plastic wrap so that they were easy to grab-and-go.



Next up were some adorable mini meatloaf cupcakes. I have seen variations of this all over the place so you can use any meatloaf recipe that you prefer. I put them in silicon cupcake molds but you could just put them straight into a greased cupcake pan.  Next time I'm going to try them in my mini cupcake pan. I want to see if they'll hold up well enough. If they do they would make adorable appetizers.  It was a fun and festive way to serve a somewhat boring meal.


If I do this again I'd take the time to put the mashed potatoes in a piping bag so that they would look pretty swirled. 


It was fun to try something new.  I have a few more things on my list to try courtesy of Pinterest.  The homemade Greek yogurt very much intrigues me. That may be a weekend project.  If it's cheaper and tastes just as good--I'm sold!

Happy cooking.
Kc

No comments:

Post a Comment