Sunday, September 11, 2011

I'm Lovin' It...

Some of our loyal fans may remember a previous post where I stated my dissatisfaction with McDonald's in Shamrock shake? More like Sham-not shake.  I'm happy to announce that McDonald's has redeemed itself with the Fruit and Maple Oatmeal. 


Photo found here

I crave this oatmeal, and I look for any little excuse to stop by a get it.  Just last week, my daughter was asking for yogurt while we were out and about running errands.  Because I hadn't packed her a yogurt, I thought, "Lets just swing by the drive through and get a yogurt parfait.  Oh, and I should pick up a Fruit and Maple Oatmeal while I'm at it."  The oatmeal is cheap ($1.99), heartier, healthier (apples, plump raisins, and craisins) and more satisfying than any other oatmeal that I've ever tried.  In fact, its gotten me back on the oatmeal train.

Then this week, during Chick-fil-A's free breakfast giveaway, I was super excited to try (and compare) their new multigrain oatmeal.

Even with the brown sugar, roasted nuts and packet of dried fruit, I wasn't lovin' in.  After researching it, I found some startling discoveries. 

About Chick-fil-A's oatmeal (found here):  Choosing a different approach than most chains, who offer "instant oatmeal" that is prepared by adding hot water to the oatmeal, Chick-fil-A's Multigrain Oatmeal is slow cooked in kettles to retain the nutritional value naturally found in oats. The mixture is a combination of steel-cut oats, rolled oats, flax, buckwheat flour and whole wheat flour. Customers can choose one of three toppings, including cinnamon brown sugar, roasted mixed nuts (almonds, pecans and walnuts) or a dried fruit blend (cranberries, blueberries, golden raisins and cherries). A serving of oatmeal contains 120 calories and 2.5 grams of fat without toppings and up to 290 calories and 11 grams of fat with the addition of toppings, all with no trans fat.

About McDonald's oatmeal (found here): Incredibly, the McDonald’s product contains more sugar than a Snickers bar and only 10 fewer calories than a McDonald’s cheeseburger or Egg McMuffin. (Even without the brown sugar it has more calories than a McDonald’s hamburger.)....create a hideous concoction of 21 ingredients, many of them chemical and/or unnecessary.

Now, I'm heart-broken.  For the last several months, as I've happily eaten McDonald's oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, and snacks, I thought I was making "smart choices." Oh McDonald's.  Why do you disappoint me yet again? 

Hugs to our followers (especially the oatmeal lovers),
LC

No comments:

Post a Comment