Sunday, July 17, 2011

I Dreamed About You For 29 Years...

Ah crap, I just had the last birthday of my 20s. I’m not too upset about getting older, 29 isn’t so awful, I’m just a little sad about some things I haven’t gotten to do, or done enough of, yet. But the best thing about having a birthday is getting a clean slate- a new opportunity to have the BEST YEAR EVER!!! I’m putting together a list of things I want to do before my 30th birthday next year, some little things and some major. Here’s what I’ve got so far…

·              Play a round of golf
·              Cook a 7 course meal
·              Take an art class
·              Visit a foreign country
·              Read 30 fiction AND 30 nonfiction books (60 books in 12 months- nerd alert!!!!)
·              Have a campfire, maybe actually go camping if I can work up the nerve (snake phobia, eeeek)
·              Learn to play a new song on the piano
·              Swim in a lake (again, snake phobia)
·              Volunteer somewhere
·              Throw a theme party
·              Go to a baseball game
·              Clean out my closet, for good. (I do this a lot but it’s never enough- too many clothes, I have issues)
·              Visit a vineyard
·              Ride down a waterslide
·              Allow myself to fall in love


Ok, ok- that last one is SO sappy and annoying, it makes me want to punch my fingers off for even typing that. BUT it’s a big challenge for me. I’ve been doing a lot (slutty?) of dating the past couple of years but it’s always been with an easy escape clause, one I gladly took. This year I’m committing myself to committing. I want my 29th year to be a big one (alright, technically I’m already IN my 30th year, but whatever- keep your smartness to yourself, fool). It makes me think about lyrics that one of my favorite bands, The National, have used in two different songs; You know I dreamed about you, For twenty-nine years before I saw you, You know I dreamed about you, I missed you for, For twenty-nine years”. Gah, I love it. I won't be running down any aisles in a white dress ANYtime soon, just reevaluating what I’m doing with my loooooooooove life.
Check it out in their song “Slow Show” below.

Here's to hoping I find who I've been missing these 29 years (and they don't judge me for being a romantic dork). Thanks for the birthday wishes Girlfriends- I’m really starting to like being the youngest of the group :)
~M


2 comments:

  1. maybe add "not get an STD to that list"?? JKJKJKJKJK love you!! i think you could kill a lot of birds with one stone if you went camping in canada. also, can i please come to your 7 course meal theme party???? happy belated birthday - i am the worst friend ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, oh god that STD joke is never going to get old because the truth is funnier than fiction. PLEASE come to my theme party- it will be you, me and a couple of cats (actual animal, not "hip" people). Love you!!!!!
    ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete