Monday, January 9, 2012

Dirty Bird



Over the past few weeks, I've had multiple conversations with friends and family about nicknames. And it got me thinking about my own.

I remember one day as a young girl playing around in the kitchen with my mom and she jokingly spewed:
"Kit Kat Katie Bird Herdie Schnerd Dirty Bird"

I said, "What did you just call me?!"

So my mom repeated:
"Kit Kat Katie Bird Herdie Schnerd Dirty Bird"

And it stuck.

Now, I'm not saying that everyone calls me that ridiculous long name all the time but parts of it linger. My favorite is "Kit Kat". Sometimes my mom will throw out a "Katie Bird" here or there. And because every variation of "Kate" is taken for user names, I've defaulted to Dirty Bird.

I don't even think twice about it now. But when people give me puzzled looks, I tell the story of how, on a whim, I became Dirty Bird.

xoxo,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment